Tuesday, March 24, 2009

New Recipes

I have found two new recipes that I love and are easy to make. We so easily get into the grilled chicken and tacos rut, and I really try to scrounge up new recipes when I can that don't have weird, expensive ingredients. So here they are....

Berry Yogurt Pops


Last year we made watermelon popsicles all summer long and they were yummy and healthy. We just pureed fresh watermelon and froze it into popsicles. Easy. I found a new popsicle recipe. Charli and Chloe both made them with me. It was fun and the anticipation they had while waiting for them to freeze was fun too.

Stir in a bowl two cups low-fat/non-fat vanilla yogurt and 1 cup assorted fresh berries (can be frozen if you want). We didn't puree the berries, just broke them up with our fingers and stirred them in. We used blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Just put into popsicle containers and freeze. That's it! Very easy and VERRRRY healthy. I did make one mistake tho....I bought plain yogurt to be "extra" healthy and it wasn't sweet enough for the kids. Had to add some honey to make it sweeter. So next time I will use vanilla yogurt.

Turkey Stromboli

Sounds hard...its not. You will need:
-1 refrigerated Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Crust
-1 cup spaghetti sauce
-1 tsp. low-fat milk
-1/2 cup shredded colby and monterey jack cheese blend (or mozzerella is good too)
-2 tsp. grated parmesan
-1 lb. turkey breast tenderloins (found easily in the walmart or grocery store poultry section
-1 10 oz. package of frozen spinach (thawed and drained well...use paper towels to pat it dry)

1. Boil thawed turkey tenderloins in pot for about 10 minutes. Set out to cool and chop.
2. Preheat oven 400
3. Unroll crust inot rectangle pizza pan or cookie sheet (recipe says to use parchment paper, flour, or pam to not stick to pan.
4. Spoon half the sauce down the center of crust length-wise leaving three inches on each side.
5. Layer spinach, turkey, and cheese over sauce.
6. Cut 12 lines on each side length wise and then fold strips over each other over lapping the top of the stromboli. Brush with milk and top with parmesan cheese.
6. Bake 12 minutes (or til brown). Serve with extra sauce left over (or more if needed).

I didn't get my own picture before it was eaten and used the magazine picture. I called it turkey pizza and the kids loved it. Good luck if you try it!

1 comment:

Becky said...

We tried the stromboli tonight, and it was a hit! I made it according to Justin's suggestions with the chicken and less spinach, BUT Kevin still had suggestions of his own! He thought it needed more sauce and some pepperoni. I think the guys with all the big ideas should cook it themselves next time! ;-) Thanks for sharing the recipe - we'll definitely have it again. (And we plan to make the yogurt pops, too!)